For The Knight Sessions, the duo wanted to record 5 new songs and take 5 songs from their European release Year of the Horse, and rerecord them in their truest form. Acoustic. Bare boned. They felt that the songs were strong enough to stand on their own, on the front lines.
The opening track, We Are Famous, came on the last day of a writing trip in L.A. It was a bit of a discouraging day, where two of the co‐writing sessions were cancelled at the last minute, so Brenley and Lisa spent their morning split between a tennis court and a writing flat, writing on their own. Brenley was wearing her favourite hat with a We Are Famous logo on it and thought it sounded like a good title for a song.
After incredible performances from the Montreax Jazz Fest to Massey Hall, Madison Violet have been deemed one of the best female duos to come out of Canada, and they continue to astonish audiences and critics alike with their engaging performances and brilliant musicianship.
Brenley MacEachern and Lisa MacIsaac are the two multi‐instrumentalists who make up Madison Violet. Born in Montreal and raised in Kincardine, Ontario, Brenley used to spend her summers in Lisa’s hometown of Creignish, Nova Scotia, but they never met on the east coast. It was a chance meeting at a restaurant in Toronto, called the Greenroom, that set them on their musical journey, later finding out that not only did Lisa know Brenley’s extended family, but that their father’s sat next to one another in high school in Cape Breton. It was kismet. Since their fateful meeting in 1999, the pair has been nominated for numerous ECMA awards and a Juno award, won a Canadian Folk Award for Vocal Group of the Year, the Maxell John Lennon Songwriting grand prize, and many more. They have released 7 studio albums, as well as a live CD and DVD recorded in Köln, during one of their many European tours.
“Madison Violet has suddenly appeared like a ray of sunshine on a rainy day.”– No Depression
Awards & Accolades:
• Grand Prize Winner (and first Canadians ever) to win the 2010 “Maxell Song of the Year: John Lennon Song Writing Contest” (which was voted on by a panel of distinguished artists including Elton John, Tim McGraw, Black Eyed Peas, Fergie, John Legend, Enrique Iglesias and Mary J. Blige)
• Canadian Folk Music Award for Best Vocal Group of the Year
• JUNO nomination for Roots & Traditional Recording of the Year
• Multiple East Coast Music Award nominations (Best New Artist, Group Recording of the Year, Folk Recording of the Year, Pop Album, Songwriter of the Year
• Independent Music Awards Folk/Singer-Songwriter Song of the Year for “The Ransom”
• Critic’s Choice award from Country Music People’s Magazine
• MOJO’s Top 10 Playlist
2002 Mad Violet
2004 Worry The Jury
2009 No Fool For Trying
2011 The Good In Goodbye
2013 Come As You Are: Live
2014 Year Of The Horse (European release)
2016 The Knight Sessions (2017 North American release)
2016 Sleigh Bells In The Snow (Christmas album)
We are sorry but registration for this event is now closed.
if you would like to know if spaces are still available.